Thursday 11 February 2016

Cinnamon: Sherbet Series 5 by Comme Des Garçons - Fragrance Review

Cinnamon: Sherbet Series 5 by Comme Des Garçons


Notes: 

Top: Cinnamon, Cedar, Bergamot
Heart: Carnation, Benzoin, Saffron
Base: Teak wood, Vetiver, White Musk

Strength: Eau De Toilette
Gender Label: Unisex
Perfumer: Bertrand Duchaufour


Although I'm no stranger to the house of Comme Des Garçons, Cinnamon was the first Comme Des Garçons fragrance I purchased that belongs to one of their themed 'series' fragrance lines. CDG fragrance fans will be aware that the house have created many fragrances that appear to belong to a conceptual collection. The most famous of these collections is Incense: Series 3

Cinnamon belongs to Sherbet: Series 5. I'm not sure exactly how CDG describe the concept of Series 5, but to me (having tested all three fragrances in that series) it would appear that the concept was to create fragrances centered around an ingredient that is edible. The other two scents that are available in this collection are Peppermint and Rhubarb

I purchased this bottle of Cinnamon sometime in 2014. Like a number of the fragrances in my collection, Cinnamon was an impulse buy, but certainly not one I regret. As far as I'm aware, the fragrances in CDG's Sherbet: Series 5 and Energy C: Series 8 are the most affordable fragrances CDG currently have available on the market. 

Checking online now, there appears to have been a small price increase from when I purchased my bottle, but I seem to remember paying just short of £30 for this 30ml bottle.

Cinnamon revolves mostly around the note of Cinnamon (as you'd assume), but it's unexpectedly paired with saffron, bergamot and a clean musk. If you're looking for a cinnamon fragrance that will remind you of the holiday season, the kind of sweet cinnamon scent that's often paired with festive notes of cranberry and 'spiced apple', then this is NOT the fragrance for you. 

Cinnamon is oddly fresh, and extremely clean. It smells almost soapy. There is a sweetness in there, but it's far from cloying. I actually believe this is a cinnamon-based fragrance that works best when worn in the hotter months. It's a great scent for those who enjoy fresh fragrances but are looking for something a little more "outside the box". Cinnamon is most certainly the most detectable note in here, but the notes it's paired with make it a very nontraditional cinnamon scent. 

Aside from a little bit of cedar, I don't really detect any of the other notes listed here besides the saffron, bergamot and musk. There isn't much change to development of Cinnamon during it's lifetime on skin. The way it smells when you first spray it is pretty much the same as how it smells at the end. However, it's still enjoyable all the way through. 

Cinnamon is incredibly easy to wear and makes a great casual scent. It isn't a very strong fragrance, but it is strong enough to be noticed by others and I have received compliments whilst wearing it. It's undoubtedly unisex. My only real criticism is that I wish Comme Des Garçons made larger bottles of this scent (preferably with a discount for purchasing the larger size) because it's a great "go-to" scent, but the small size puts me off wearing it sometimes because I know I'll soon run out if I wear it too frequently.

Overall, although Cinnamon isn't my favourite Comme Des Garçons scent, I think it's a very likable entry-level fragrance to the house of CDG and one I would certainly recommend trying.

Wear Details

  • Best Time(s) To Wear: Casual settings, Daytime 
  • Best Season(s): Spring and Summer
  • Sprays I wear: 4 - 5
  • Longevity: 5 - 6 hours
  • Projection: Moderate/Light, but strong enough to be noticed by others around you.

Thank you so much for reading my review! If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to share them.

Josh :-)


Disclaimer: Photograph featured in this post was taken by me. It is a bottle that is in my personal fragrance collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment