Monday 28 August 2017

L'Homme Ideal Sport by Guerlain Fragragrance Review

L'Homme Ideal Sport by Guerlain (2017)

Notes: 

Top: Almond, Spices, Aquatic notes
Heart: Neroli
Base: Patchouli, Vetiver, Tonka Bean

Strength: Eau De Toilette
Gender Label: Masculine
Perfumer: Thierry Wasser & Daphne Jelk


I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm a Guerlain fanboy. I have five of their fragrances in my collection (so far), I always get excited whenever I hear about a new Guerlain release and I'm a huge admirer of the heritage and history of the house, as well as their commitment to producing high quality fragrances. 

The L'Homme Ideal collection are among my favourite offerings from the house and I own all four fragrances within it. Each fragrance offers a different take on that signature almond/tonka bean note and, in this review, I'm going to talk about the latest addition to the collection - L'Homme Ideal Sport.

When L'Homme Ideal Sport was announced, I was rather surprised as Guerlain is not a house I would normally associate with "sport" fragrances. Sport fragrances are personally not a style of scent that appeals to me and, truthfully, I'm not the sort of guy sport fragrances are marketed toward. 

My initial expectation was that L'Homme Ideal Sport would be like a brother to the 2015 addition, L'Homme Ideal Cologne, which is all about that super clean and elegant grapefruit/almond combo. However, to my surprise, there aren't many similarities between the two.

L'homme Ideal Sport opens up with a blast of aquatic freshness, bergamot and a slight ginger-like spiciness that is smoothed over by the creaminess of almond. The almond used here isn't as sweet as it is in the past releases and, out of the four, the almond is least prominent in this addition.

Once the top notes begin to settle, a slightly earthy patchouli begins to poke through which adds some depth to the fragrance. I don't really pick up on the neroli in this addition, whereas I find neroli to be quite dominant in the cologne version, but that aquatic, watery freshness keeps L'Homme Ideal Sport smelling nice and clean. 

L'Homme Ideal Cologne has a fine soap-like cleanliness, whereas L'Homme Ideal Sport is more of a "fresh out the shower" type of clean. Sport is somewhat of a misleading name in my opinion as there's nothing in this that makes me think of your usual gym locker room "sport" fragrance. It still has that touch of elegance you'd come to expect from Guerlain and something like "L'Homme Ideal L'Eau" may have been a more fitting name if you ask me?
 
I was pleasantly surprised to find that L'Homme Ideal Sport is actually pretty long-lasting on my skin. Fresh scents (disappointingly) tend not to have much staying on me but L'Homme Ideal Sport is certainly an exception to that, which makes me very happy as this is one of nicest fresh aquatic scents I've come across. Whilst it's not a particularly strong scent, it does give off a very pleasant, soft scent cloud and people who come near you are able to smell it.

Overall, I've really been enjoying wearing L'Homme Ideal Sport over the summer and I think it's a great addition to the collection. Out of the four, I think this is the scent that has the most universal appeal. It's extremely pleasant, easy to wear and would make a great gift for a gentleman of any age. I think L'Homme Ideal Sport is great scent for spring and summer and it's been my go-to scent for those casual (jeans and a t-shirt) hot summer days.     

Wear Details

  • Best Time(s) To Wear: Casual settings, Daytime 
  • Best Season(s): Spring and Summer
  • Sprays I wear: 4 - 5
  • Longevity: 6 - 8 hours
  • Projection: Moderate/Light, but strong enough to be noticed by others around you.

Thank you so much for reading my review! I intend to review the rest of the L'Homme Ideal collection in the near future. 

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to share them.

Josh :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment